Saturday, April 21, 2007

the ss bachelorette

In honor of SS's impending wedding, it was time for a quasi-low-key evening out in Georgetown for the ladies - which was perfect for me seeing as Saturday's all about the benefit. It was a nice size group of five - perfect for some location hopping and all. The plan was Mendocino Wine Bar for drinks, dinner at Paolo's, and then from there, TBD. I must admit, following this week's incident, I was a tad anxious about hopping on the Circulator to head over to Georgetown. Thankfully I was able to make it to Georgetown without any brushes with buildings. Always good to see.

Mendocino was nice -- obviously the sister restaurant to Sonoma. I like the variety of the food at Sonoma better than Mendocino, but it was a nice quaint spot so I'll give it the stamp of approval.

Service at Mendocino far trumps Paolo's, where it was like pulling teeth to get anywhere. I think we'd been there for some 40 minutes before we were served our drinks. Not off to a good start. The food was decent, after I sent mine (and the Cajun's) back to be re-heated. After having waited for as long as us, cold past wasn't going to cut it.

It was like a Georgetown check-list though... the third place we hit was also one I'd never been to - Daily Grill. We watched the place go from pretty dead and empty to a massive sea of faces. We opted out when it was clear that the Daily Grill had become pre-Smith Point, choosing to head back to the Hill.

SS was having a great time though -- we got to hear all the details about the wedding, stories about how they met, all that good stuff... things I never really knew. It was a lot of fun to catch up with her, seeing as she's one of my friends I just don't get to see too often. It was nice to celebrate with her. Funny story though... she revealed the rationale behind the wedding date. She said she didn't want it to fall in football season, as their anniversary would run the risk of conflicting with an important SEC game at some point. Love it.

Somehow my early evening turned into um not so early, but we were all together at the end of the evening. Our final neighborhood stop included an odd Native American man who kept telling me that I was not happy (really? news to me) and that I had great feet (?), SS making friends with Tim/Jim, and the Bostonian who told me I looked like Heather Graham. What a fun night.

And now... caffeine. Must have caffeine to get going on the prep work tonight. Oh yes, it's a long day ahead. A long (but fun) day ahead.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • The Southern version of the Bible has an 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not get married on a fall Saturday."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 21, 2007  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At April 21, 2007  

  • Love the 11th Commandment... that would be perfect cross-stitched, hanging above the mantle!

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At April 21, 2007  

  • In the south, if you get married during football season, no one will come to your wedding. My debutante ball was preempted by the Fiesta Bowl- we literally had to provide televisions in the ballrooms to keep people from congregating in the country club bar.

    By Blogger Pagan Marbury, At April 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.