Thursday, April 12, 2007

almost rosey

Last night I stumbled across a posting of some live MP3s of Tori Amos' performance for RadioEins in Berlin. Those of you who aren't into Tori Amos are probably going to totally not relate and zone out at this point hah (but feel free to skip to the lyrics below -- really like them). You'd have thought I was completely out of music on my iPod (hah, nothing could be further from the truth) the way I voraciously scrambled to download the songs and transfer them over to my iPod.

I didn't listen to them until this morning as I was walking to the metro to head to my Pilates class. The short setlist of six included Velvet Revolution, Father's Son, Silent All These Years, Beauty of Speed, Leather (oh Tori - why, why, why?), and Almost Rosey. Almost Rosey really dug into me... I know I've said it before, but there are certain things that speak to people as almost a language in and of itself. For me, it's always been music.

I came here in the office to pull up the lyrics and found sadly that a lot of the places I'd been checking out the lyrics for the upcoming album opted to skip the lyrics to this one. From the reviews, sounds like this isn't most people's favorite on the album - but live... live, it's fabulous - in my opinion. After scouring for quite some time, finally found them. Once I got them, wasn't going to risk not finding them, so had to post them here. I've bolded the parts I really liked.


Almost Rosey

Uh uh uh hey hey hey
Uh uh uh hey hey hey

Just a minute of your time,
yes I’ve been known to delude myself
So let me put those rose colored glasses to the test

Now is this real enough for you ‘cause
Blondes here don’t jump out of cakes
If that never impressed you much
Come board this lunatic express

Why do they say
Have a nice day anyway
We both know they wouldn’t mind
If I just curled up and died
Oh, lets not give that one a try

Chin up, put on a pair of these roses raise those blinds
Chin up, a happy mask was never your best disguise
Chin up, put on a pair of these roses
In no time
You will feel almost fine
Almost rosey

Uh uh uh hey hey hey

Now some girls here will huddle with,
no,
not footballers that are rich
But we’ll confide in small white sticks
He bounces the Viriginian Slim
Then I just tried once to comply with an authority
That will subsidize my wild side
But at this altar we're sacrificed
Yes you can laugh,
A femme fatale,
In a bride's dress
Now married to the effortless of the cracks
That lie now in between the facts


Why do they say
Have a nice day anyway
We both know they wouldn’t mind
If I just curled up and died
Oh, lets not give that one a try

Chin up, put on a pair of these roses raise those blinds
Chin up, a happy mask was never your best disguise
Chin up, put on a pair of these roses in no time
You will feel almost fine
Almost rosey

Uh uh uh hey hey hey

Now about when Violet died
The cause still unidentified
She thought her love would be enough
But you can’t seduce seduction
Her tentacles of endless want
Reach through my corridors
And tempt me to taste of her power
I sober with the witching hour
And when I hear of one more bomb
Yes we have all been robbed of song
And nightingales who throw their arms up
When is enough enough


Why do they say
Have a nice day anyway
We both know they wouldn’t mind
If I just curled up and died
Oh, lets not give that one a try

Chin up, put on a pair of these roses raise those blinds
Chin up, a happy mask was never your best disguise
Chin up, put on a pair of these roses in no time
You will feel almost fine
Almost rosey

Uh uh uh hey hey hey
Uh uh uh hey hey hey
Feeling almost rosey


I know I'm completely spoiling the album for myself. Come May 1st and then all of the shows to follow in the fall, these tracks may have lost their luster from being worn out on repeat. But I'll take that gamble. I don't know how many times I've replayed this one, but just one more... can't hurt too much...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • I don't think you can enjoy Tori Amos unless you have ovaries.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, At April 12, 2007  

  • Haha... yeah, I think that's a common sentiment - although I know a select few who do.

    On the flip-side, know lots of females who don't get her either! Definitely one of those people either like or don't. Little in between.

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At April 12, 2007  

  • thanks for this.. I was listening to the radio1 show in my work van..this song caught my attention moreso than any of the others. I did a google search on my phone to find the lyrics and came across your page -- I couldn't agree with you more about it. And I do not have ovaries! -)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 15, 2007  

  • Ryan - happy to help. Well, she's played it so far in I believe 2 different radio shows (it, and Leather - ick). Perhaps that means it'll be in high rotation come tour time!

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At April 16, 2007  

  • It's not about ovaries...It's about something not easy to describe. But anyway, is like, her songs always have something to say about whats going on with you...
    I was searching the lyrics too and ended up here...
    Thank you for this, kisses, Isi.

    By Blogger tu peor pesadilla.., At April 22, 2007  

  • hey there...i'm another fan who googled for the lyrics of this song because i loved it best. ..still trying to figure out the meaning. whatever it is.. this song seems to be very sincere and meaningful. and beautiful. thanks for the lyrics.

    By Blogger amber, At April 24, 2007  

  • it's just cool song, and i definitely do not have ovaries... not even one. anyway thx for the lyrics.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.