Wednesday, April 04, 2007

i'll be your saltine senorita

In the week's tradition of follow-through, today I became a card toting gym member (branded guest for 2 weeks, granted -- but it comes at a superb discount rate, so until I cast off those training wheels, I'll own my guest label). MsH and I had planned an advance date for hip hop funk class. How can anything go wrong with a fabulous name like that?

The music was fabulous and the class a blast. It was a bit oh funny to instead of seeing oneself in the mirror in something more hip to hit the town find a stylish pony tail at the crown of your head, sports bra, and Gator (heck yeah!) t-shirt. Hot. Nothing makes you feel like getting down to some R&B/Dance/Rap like that combo. Mega hotness.

Perhaps it was seeing that interesting ensemble looking back at me that held me back... that and the fact that it took me a bit to get the teacher's rhythm down. I'm all over it next class I go to... good stuff, and what a work-out. Yeah, but whereas I can remember getting down with my gals in South Florida or here from time to time and feeling like I could move to the tunes, tonight I was feeling mighty, well let's be blunt, white. Perhaps next go-'round I'll be able to cut it loose a bit more.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment and since I want to maximize my guest pass purchase to the fullest, I decided to stay on for pilates. This is why I was all about the gym membership... whereas I can just say ouch, done, give up at home, somehow I keep on plugging away when there are others watching me. It's like magic. I will admit at the end though as the muscles between my shoulder blades were making themselves known that I was unable to finish the final exercise of the class... but, not half-bad for the end of my second class at my first day in the gym. (I'll pat myself on my sore back now for you. Awww. Thanks.)

As I walked home, still styling in my gym attire, it felt like a good day. Sure, I still might not know that what I'm doing I want to do for the rest of my life. Do I have to know now? Nah. Maybe tomorrow. Things just feel balanced somehow... I'd had lunch with Rio, caught up with MsH over our funk diva session, and managed to work in some fabulous cardio. Don't get me wrong... I love meeting friends out for happy hour. Sometimes though it seems too easy for life to become just one massive series of happy hours. Perhaps that's the change I needed. More balance. A better blend. Whatever it is, I'm addicted.

(And about to pass out. I see some fabulous deep sleep in my future, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty pumped about it. Zzzzzzzz...)

3 Comments:

  • Which gym did you join? I joined the one that's nearest my office building so that I have to walk by it 2x a day and the guilt will get me to work out.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, At April 04, 2007  

  • Washington Sports Club... most convenient, and I like it's right by the office (so definitely has the guilt factor you noted!) and I can use the one close to home on the weekend (added plus).

    I know it's not the cheapest option, but hopefully that'll be an incentive as well! I figure factor in the saved $$ from foregone happy hours too...

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At April 04, 2007  

  • I would do the same thing if I were you -- taking extra classes since it's just a temporary deal. The only danger in that is doing so much that you burn yourself out, and then you don't want to go to the gym again for a long time. Not that that has ever happened to me... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.