Friday, April 27, 2007

subway serenades? claro que si!

I read in the online version of the Express that DC is going to be auditioning people to perform in the metro during commute hours from June to September (so just the summer months). I'm an avid WMATA-er and I've gotta say, I've said before that I love my iPod. I live by my iPod. But this makes me happy.

I must admit. I think our transit system is kinda flat sometimes. I've always loved it when in Boston, NYC, Prague, Madrid, etc. you happened upon someone who was performing in the subway system. It added a little character to the city.

I think that's why some people think DC's too uptight and stale. I remember Tam telling me that our subway was boring, from the lack of entertainment to the basically standard presentation inside the stations themselves. Only variation seems to be length of escalator as you descend and ascend (now that I think all stations have the time to arrival signs - even if they're now malfunctioning). In NYC, you'll see variation from station to station in the decor along the platform, matching (somewhat or at least typically) to the area of town in which you happen to be. We could use a little more of that.

Bring it on, I say. I'm looking forward to it!

Bring on the song and dance. I, for one, welcome the entertainment in my commute.

(It'll help to save the battery life on my iPod...)

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I will probably lose my NYCer card for saying this, but I prefer the DC metro to NYC's. It's not as extensive as NY's and it doesn't run 24 hours, but it's cleaner and the trains are newer and quieter.

    Also, EVERYONE rides the trains in NY, but it seems like there are less crazies and homeless people on the DC metro. The additional music would just be icing on the cake.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, At April 27, 2007  

  • Icing is always good!

    I don't know... I love the clean aspect of DC's metro, but I think I'd be willing to see it slide a bit if it meant I could get more places using the train.

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At April 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.