Thursday, November 30, 2006

grissom point blank

[Talking to his psychiatrist about going to his high school reunion]
John Cusack: They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"


I decided to turn on one of my Netflix movies last night. Finally get that queue rolling again after a long stand-still. The only thing I had at home which wasn't a serious movie was Grosse Point Blank. I'll admit... I didn't know too too much about the movie, having heard it was pretty funny along with having been recommended to me once upon a time by the Realtor. I thought it would be a good one to turn on while cleaning up pre-party.

Wow.

I was so surprised how ironically appropriate it was. I believe it's been a couple of weeks since I received the Evite for my ten year high school reunion. I was quite amused as I realized that the movie was about John Cusack's own reunion. The concept of a reunion for whatever reason has always fascinated me. Perhaps it's my natural curiosity. I'll admit, I'm a nosy person. In this case though, I think it especially stems from having been so distanced from that whole environment for so long. I didn't stay and go to college locally. I didn't move back to the area. I go back to visit maybe two, three times max a year. There's only a small handful of people that I stay in touch with now -- not because I don't want to be in touch with others, but the reality is that it just doesn't work so well with most. And that's okay.

I think it's natural to wonder who's changed... who's remained exactly the same... which people even maybe live around the corner from your new nook of the world without you even knowing it. The movie focused though on John Cusack's high school love... which, I must admit, made me think of beauxs past. How is it that at the age when people tended to not have more serious relationships that I had so many? And, in the days since, that I've gone to the other end of the spectrum as single in the city? Just an observation. Perhaps it's the recent experiences that have sort of changed my outlook on the whole dating ritual. A friend's recent
blog post hits a lot of it dead-on.

While I didn't have a memory quite like Minnie Driver of being jilted prom night, I did remember the pre-senior prom break-up (by one week!). If you're reading this, no worries. No hard feelings. There were lots of characters that I dated, for sure... the Hippie... the Older Guy... Older Guy number 2 (hah)... the one the parents didn't approve of (or know about, for the most part)... the Musician... the Repeat... the Poser... definitely a mixed bag, but I think it gives a great broad perspective. To each their own, but I do think it's great that I've had so many different experiences. Now at 27, I don't feel the burning need to re-discover myself or experience life... I think I've done all of that along the way. I don't feel like I've missed anything in getting here.

Hmmm... so will any of my exes arrive to the reunion as a professional killer? Hope not. Hah. We'll let John keep that honor. And I'll have to hold off on claiming to have invented
Post-Its. We know how that would end. I am curious to see how things have changed, but I think I'm glad to know I'm arriving not worried about how something might have gone differently with someone... or with any sort of charged expectations of something I'd like to see transpire there. I think the upside of having been single in the city as of late is that I've become pretty independent. Not that I wasn't somewhat before, but I think that the past three years or so have allowed me to find a new-found appreciation for where I've come and who I am. Have I done stuff I'm not particularly proud of? Sure... but I've said it before, I don't believe in regrets. Those mistakes brought me here and they're part of me and my story (albeit the chapters perhaps few know).

Ironic definitely that the movie tied so nicely in with what's going on now. Definitely made me think of those high school days and piqued my curiosity for next August. And on that front, to be continued...

As a completely separate side note to my fellow single in the city gals, you have to check out this story on the New York Times on what boils down to disposable numbers to give out to people you meet out. Interesting concept. Not sure what I think on that, although I can see where it would have it's value. Very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.