Friday, February 09, 2007

where's the name from, you ask?

I had a lot of questions from friends on my selection of names for the blog back when I took my blog out of he MySpace bubble into the view of the general public. Why? Why District Belle, they asked. One of the first things I'll tell people I meet is that I'm a Bama girl. Period. I ended up in DC with layovers in the great states of Mississippi and Florida.

I've lost a bit of the Southern accent along the way, but I'm still a Southern girl at heart... I love grits. I blush during really racy parts in movies (I know, shocking that I am a Sex and the City fan, right?). I rarely curse. If I do, you know I'm really angry (and the accent's about to flare), or that I'm about to turn red of embarrassment. It's that mix though between all things Southern and city that brought on the substitution of district in lieu of Southern.

The below post I found on Urban Dictionary the other day was just great. I had to repost and share it here. Not all of it still applies, but a lot still does. It made me smile anyhow. Humor me. You don't want to be working on a Friday afternoon anyhow, do you?



Southern women appreciate their natural assets:

  • Clean skin.
  • A winning smile.
  • That unforgettable Southern drawl.
Southern women know their manners:
  • "Yes, ma'am."
  • "Yes, sir."
  • "Why, no, Billy!"

Southern women have a distinct way with fond expressions:

  • "Y'all come back!"
  • "Well, bless your heart."
  • "Drop by when you can."
  • "How's your Momma?"
Southern women know their summer weather report:
  • Humidity
  • Humidity
  • Humidity
Southern women know their vacation spots:
  • The beach
  • The beach
  • The beach
Southern women know the joys of June, July, and August:
  • Summer tans
  • Colorful hi-heel sandals
  • Strapless sun dresses
Southern women know everybody's first name:
  • Honey
  • Darlin'
  • Shugah

Southern women know the movies that speak to their hearts:

  • Fried Green Tomatoes
  • Driving Miss Daisy
  • Steel Magnolias
  • Gone With The Wind
Southern women know their religions:
  • Baptist
  • Methodist
  • Football

Southern women know their country breakfasts:

  • Red-eye gravy
  • Grits
  • Country ham
  • Mouth-watering homemade biscuits with momma's homemade jelly
Southern women know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
  • Charleston(Chawl'stn)
  • Savannah (S'vanah)
  • New Orleans (N'awlins)
  • Atlanta (Addlanna)
Southern women know their elegant gentlemen:
  • Men in uniform.
  • Men in tuxedos.
  • Rhett Butler, of course!
Southern women know their prime real estate:
  • The Mall
  • The Country Club
  • The Beauty Salon
Southern women know the four deadly sins:
  1. Having bad hair and nails
  2. Having bad manners
  3. Cooking bad food
  4. Wearing too much makeup in the summer

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • i love grits and eggs, sweet tea, and the way southerns say things like "bless your heart" and refer to beans as "peas"--like black eyed peas...this is what i learned from my auburn edumacayshun. peace, sister.

    By Blogger ROGANISTA, At February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.