Friday, May 11, 2007

i promise i brought clothes to the party

Last night it was another benefit event as a part of the Team Cuttler campaign. I'd gotten The Writer to join in on the festivities, which began with a nice little cruise on DC's public bus system. The Writer's comment to me went something like this: "I never take the buses around here. How does this work? Where do we get on?" as we screamed trying to converse over the random (and very loud) free concert at Farragut Square. Thanks for the thought. Will ear plugs be provided next time? Just a little feedback there.

I'd never been to Bourbon in Adams Morgan. I will admit to having attended the sister establishment of the same name in Glover Park upon many occasions, in large part due to a massive crush (harmless) on the bartender who bore striking resemblance to Dave Matthews. Drool. I chose to overlook the tattoos that adorned his arms. Wonder if he's still there... ok, I digress. So yeah, it was nice to have a reason to check out a new spot as well as to know this was sort of a "bring-your-own-crew" type of party, since it was basically guaranteed that we'd know at least 75% of the attendees.

I'd agreed to sell raffle tickets to help out with the cause. However, I finally learned that they were selling them at the door, which meant I was hard to find takers once they'd entered the bar. Sad. So what's a girl to do? Clearly, make them props. Perhaps if people had them in front of their face, they'd be more quick to pay the $2 per ticket. The Fashionista and I had waaaay too much fun with those tickets. And were really amused to discover that most of the pics seemed to miss that we were wearing clothes altogether, since I was wearing a tube top and she was wearing a strapless dress. I promise, we were both fully clothed, even if the photographic evidence would suggest otherwise.

The Writer offered to help me sell some tickets. Her report back cracked me up. She said it was a summary of who not to date in DC, as she pointed out the guys who with a straight face said "but, I paid $10 to get in, and then I've been buying drinks". To which she replied, "Um, they're only $2?". When they had no reply, she said, yeah, clearly not high on the list of DC's most eligible. C'mon. It's for a good cause.

Ever have nights where the pictures are just far too random for the event? Yeah, that's probably a good summary for last night, from the Bama can-can to all of the fun pics of our friends serving as guest bartenders. Sadly, MF's tip jar didn't surpass the $100 threshold. Who knows what would have ensued then.

But what a fun night. The Writer and I finally grabbed a cab outta there after 11. We've both learned the important lesson of living on the Hill -- never disclose your destination until you're in the cab, seatbelt fastened. As we left out, our cabbie was pulled over by a cop for picking us up from across the road. Interesting. No ticket, but a pretty stern barking reprimand from the cop.

So I must admit, I felt a bit like I was still in college this morning as I am mentally in weekend mode. Oh well. I guess we all have weeks like that.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Hmmmm. This reminds me of a HH I went to where I was selling tickets for a charity too.

    Only four tools didn't buy tickets. Two of them were bloggers and the other two were their friends.

    Uhhhh, enjoy your $2, high rollers.

    I used the "annoying rose vendor" technique. I.e. approach guys when they are talking to a girl so they will buy tix to 1) not seem cheap; and 2) get you to go away. I guess it didn't work with those four guys because they were so pathetic that the odds of them talking to a girl and not being ignored were way smaller than the odds of winning a prize.

    I'm surprised they wouldn't buy tix from a couple of hotties.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, At May 11, 2007  

  • I was totally one of those people who refused to buy raffle tickets. But I had a good reason for not doing so - pure moral opposition.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 11, 2007  

  • HI Ninja: I like the "annoying rose vendor" technique. Why do I feel that's more appropriate somehow for guys to pull? I know though... we thought maybe if we smiled a lot. But, alas, no such luck.

    Dan: Moral opposition? Now, I thought it was because MF's tip jar wasn't up to $80... and how can you morally oppose supporting the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society? Have you no heart??

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At May 11, 2007  

  • I bet we could have sold tickets with that picture...

    By Blogger Sam.I.Am, At May 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.