Wednesday, May 09, 2007

out for a cause

Last night was the Rescue Eastern Market Night. Sleepy and behind at work, I still managed to make it out to support the cause. I met up with WT, Coop, and EH for some quality time at Tunnicliff's. We chose Tunni's since they were donating 10% of their profits to the Capitol Hill Community Foundation's 'Eastern Market Keep it Going' fund. I tell you - I don't know that I have ever seen the place quite like that.

The exterior gave the false sense that it wasn't going to be crazy packed. The interior proved to be the polar opposite. You could tell the employees were a bit frazzled by the massive increase in customers, but they were good sports about the whole thing. When we were finally seated, they had to bring half of our waters in styrofoam cups. We didn't mind the lack in fine china (hah not that Tunni's really has that anyhow - and we love it for that), as it definitely indicated a great turnout.

I ran into E2 and his friend T there. I still say I love the Hill. I love that I run into people out that I know. That happened oh say never in Dupont.

Because we wanted to continue to contribute to the cause, we wandered up Penn a bit for an additional stop at 18th Amendment. I told WT that we just have so many reasons to not stay home to help out so many great causes... Thursday night, we're off to Adams Morgan to support Team Cuttler's campaign to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

The evening ended on a humorous note, with WT commenting "oh my! someone lost their weave..." - lamenting what appeared to be the remnants of a hair weave in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue.

I haven't seen final figures for what last night's benefit evening managed to raise, but it has to be good. It looks like the fund was at $170,000 prior to last night's event. I love the fund's slogan... "Our Market; More than a building". Next event - Dining Out for Eastern Market on May 21st.

Just can't put into words how much I love being part of the community there. From someone who's for so long solely claimed her birth state (AL) as home, it's nice to finally have a true second home to claim.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Girl, do you ever sleep?!?!?!? :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 10, 2007  

  • Hmmm what's sleep? Ohhhh. Yes. From time to time I do... like on the bus on the way to NYC, or on the plane on the way to Europe... ;-)

    (Or last night, when I absolutely went to sleep at 8:30 to battle a migraine!)

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At May 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.