Sunday, April 29, 2007

tootsie roll tango

I warned up front it would be an early night. It was the plan. Sticking to it. Period. Guess I am officially the girl who cried wolf. Perhaps that phrase ("early night") should be officially stricken from my dictionary.

It was a long day... dentist appointment (cavity-free dance from me) and a trip to the Ethiopian restaurant with the DG's visiting guest. It turned into the afternoon affair, as we spent well-over 2 hours at Zed's in Georgetown. Quite good, I must say. The DG and I were loving their "spongey" bread. Hah. Although, I wouldn't say that the food was all too different from Meskarem in Adam's Morgan. Definitely one up on the atmosphere though.


So I came home and opted for a quick power nap. I was tempted to stay in but stuck with the original plan to head out for a party in the neighborhood. Less than 45 minutes, and I was ready to head out with Sassy to the shin-dig. The theme was Mardi Gras. I have to sort of agree with Ms. MM who came to meet us there... there's just something fundamentally quasi-off about a post-Lenten Mardi Gras bash.

Just the same attend we did... and beads? Yes, we wore beads. The music for the evening was the perfect mix. A touch of the new, but the bulk being the classic frat rock tunes, complete with an almost catastrophic smashing of one of the speakers to the ground. Thankfully, Belinda Carlyle, Poison, and Bon Jovi were soon back alive and kicking. Along with us kicking it old school on the dance floor.

At one point, a pinata was brought onto the scene. Note to self, no party of ours shall ever include a pinata. Can you say sticky candy fiasco? The pinata was broken eventually right in the midst of the dance floor - because clearly that is the most logical place to smash a star-shaped pinata. After a few people picked up a handful of candy such as DOTS and Tootsie Roll Pops, the sugared litter soon become Tootsie pancakes. That has to be one royal mess this morning for their wood floors.

They had quite the turn out. Their large Hill pad was crammed with people, especially with the in-and-out rain storms of the evening. I ran into all sorts of people, quite a few who it seems had been to one of our parties at some point, knew who I was, and I hadn't the faintest clue as to who they were.

Speaking of clues, there were quite a few people at the party (including the host himself) who it seems our connection was the Clue party I attended with Sassy back in the Fall. I ended up talking the host's friend, E2, for a while at the end of the evening, who I did not realize at the time, but was also a familiar face from that prior party. DC continues to reinforce what a small, small world it can be at times. All of the sudden, seems those houses I walk by on a daily basis now have faces and names to associate. I was having a great time and honestly, would have loved to stay longer and taken E2 up on the dance offer to return to the dance floor - but I was seriously turning into a pumpkin.

After over two hours of dancing and one blister in process, I decided it was time to check out. Actually, more like well over time to check out if we're getting technical, but as always seems to be the case it's just next to impossible to voluntarily walk away from a good time with your friends. I still got up for my prayer pancake breakfast at church as planned, so I'd say successful weekend all-around.

And yet again, I find myself with a stash of additional Mardi Gras beads. Fashionista, we never fail to capitalize on that photo op, now do we?

One of the final humorous statements of the evening was:
Fashionista: "Look at all these different beads. Someone gave me this one. It's pretty cool. What is it?"

Belle: "Um, that's got Captain Morgan on it."
Fashionista: "Oh. Nice."

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • OMG! I forgot about that converstation. I believe the rest of it went. Me: "This ones Baccardi." You: "Yeah, they're all alcohol branded beads." Me: "Who are we?"

    By Blogger Sam.I.Am, At May 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.