Monday, May 14, 2007

my momma always said...

There are lots of choices we get to make in life. A career. What type of car we're going to purchase. What we're going to do with our vacation time. What people we're going to let in our odd lives. There are also things we don't ultimately control. It's like there are multiple chutes that we can funnel our way through that are defined. And then there are some things that we are just dealt and for better or worse, we must live within that realm.

Parents - they are one of those things. We don't get a choice in defining who those are... somewhere along the way, they made decisions. Chose each other and to bring you into the picture. It's one of those life equations where you're the end result. Standing there on the opposite side of the equal sign.

Today at church our pastor's sermon focused on mothers. Their seamingly boundless "strength" from the perception of a young child's eyes. The way they can do no wrong, know all the answers to the seemingly unanswerable, managing to instantaneously receive god-like powers from the moment of delivery on that hospital bed. He rationalized that the reason behind these powers was not that they were something supernatural, but the faith lying behind the eyes of the little one peering up at their mother. That was the true reason. And that, over time, the perception of these powers began to fade, leaving the child with the realization that their mother was in the end human, with faults, just like the person to her right and left.

I heard his words and the message behind the sermon was very powerful. But I still believe in the magic of mothers. At 27, I might look at my mom and realize she has faults. I'm sure she can do the same to me. But I also see all of the other things she's managed to do that could never be outweighed by any of those things on the other side of the fence.


I see someone who learned every subject I learned going through school. Someone who always managed to have time to shuttle me around to all the different things I was into, from ice skating to piano lessons. Stayed up late at night recording the main points on biology on cassette tapes, so I could listen to them and better memorize... helped with countless science projects... helped to go to battle with teachers when my voice wouldn't be heard. If there's a stain that won't come out on an item of clothing, chances are my mom knows what to do. People often asked me how I handled my mom teaching at my school. My answer was meet my mom and then you can understand why it clearly is not an issue.

I don't know. I beg to differ. I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy -- all those other things that we lose as we gain in years. But I still believe in the magic of mothers. I hope that some day when a pair of eyes are looking back up towards me, that I too are so blessed with the Midas touch. And even though perhaps that "touch" is all in its perception, it's truly a type of magic that just can't be paralleled.

"Mama says they was magic shoes. They could take me anywhere." - Forrest Gump

I still believe. Oh yes, I still believe.

Being a mother I think has to be one of the hardest jobs anyone can sign on to undertake, and on this Mother's Day - as every year and really every day, I'm really thankful for all my mom's done for me. Thankful she chose to sign on for the task. Thankful that she's my best friend. Truly thankful.

2 Comments:

  • Beautifully written Ms. L. I have to agree. Just where would we be without our mothers. And thank goodness as we've grown older they've also become our friends. xoxo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 14, 2007  

  • I know... I think as we've grown older, they've become wiser too... whereas when we were younger, you thought you had more of a clue! (for that brief period around middle school at least...)

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At May 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.