Wednesday, June 20, 2007

plays well with others

I love my friends. Okay, so the new job. I had emails and fabulous comments on Facebook, with my favorite coming from MsH: "Can't wait to hear all about your first day! Hope you're playing nice with all the new kids!!!!"

I joke about it, but the encouragement definitely didn't go unappreciated.

So how is it? Love it. I think it can be sort of difficult and daunting to know what you're truly signing on for until you're there - committed badge-toting employee. I could really tell in the interview process that they didn't just tell you all the good sounding stuff. It seemed they actually delivered. The person vacating the role had decided they did not want to be specialized in this specific role within HR, so they were allowing her to move within the organization.

And the people were real. Approachable. I love it when irregardless of the level of seniority you can feel relaxed and comfortable talking with anyone in the organization. And it was just hilarious to find that the head of our department went to Mississippi State. That's happened oh say never?

I'm still getting oriented... meeting all of my points of contact and learning all of the expectations of the role. I was pleased to find the vending machine just around the corner not only has Diet Dr. Pepper, but it's only $0.55. Nice...

So for the first time in years, I'm sharing an office space actually with two others. Perhaps it comes at the perfect time, just as I'm going to be shortly moving back into my own place. Believe me, I still decorated. Just means that sadly, the days of jamming all day to my iPod on shuffle are on hold.

The office space itself is kind of funny. It is an actual office (so not a cube) with these three big floor to ceiling windows. When I came in, they were open. The desks are in a C-shape, one on each side wall and one lucky desk facing out those lovely lengthy windows. First day I took to action, only commenting "Hmmm, must say - I do feel a little like an animal on display at the zoo", as every single human passing would without fail peer in to the space. As soon as I set out my photos and such yesterday, my next task was pulling the blinds.

The office next door has their blinds open (the only other with the set-up). They call it the "fish bowl". It was pretty funny though as I got comments all day for having elected to pull the blinds. I think they must have always been up? Anyhow, it was quite amusing.

Verdict is all good. Quite pleased. Besides, who can complain about anywhere where you can reward yourself with a pair of Citizens jeans for the new job and it still be considered work-attire appropriate?

6 Comments:

  • Congrats on the new gig! Cans of soda are $0.05 cheaper where I work, but you probably don't drink enough Dr. Pepper for it to be worth your while to switch jobs again.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, At June 20, 2007  

  • Thanks! Very excited. Yeah, I'm thinking that the nickel differential wouldn't justify a change in employers. I'm that person who hates change. Which means I'm that person who likes to bring in big bags of change and dump it on their metro card =)

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At June 20, 2007  

  • Glad you had a good first day! Citizens jeans are a great reward; I'm still working out getting my perfect pair for becoming gainfully employed in NYC a few months ago. I miss my DC fishbowl job a little. It does feel weird to be on display.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 21, 2007  

  • Glad it went well! Hope everything else is jsut as good!

    By Blogger texasinafrica, At June 21, 2007  

  • Oh, I so had an office set-up like that before. It's great for getting to know your coworkers, but bad when you're stuffed up with dark circles under your eyes sitting in front of an audience. Oh, and headphones and an iPod were totally appropriate when I was in that set-up (just as a future FYI). Congrats again!

    By Blogger Sam.I.Am, At June 22, 2007  

  • Sam - thanks for the advise! We had a discussion on music. Think all are pro-music, so the silence might be coming to a halt. Yes.

    Also, since we've drawn the blinds, been a whole different world. They're coming to put up our remaining set of blinds, so soon we won't be on display. Can't wait for that!

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At June 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.