Monday, June 11, 2007

i don't care if monday's blue...

As I walked off the escalator en route to baggage claim, boom! Someone slammed into me. They didn't break stride as they continued on their forward path. Ahhhh. Back to the city this country mouse has come. Ok, I exaggerate, but yeah - not in Bama anymore. Good thing I had my fried okra about an hour beforehand. Last dose of the Deep South 'til August.

There's something about the airport in Huntsville. I think they're the most touchy-feely airport -- well, I think that's actually somewhat a personal problem... I can fly in/out of DC, NYC, Paris, Amsterdam, or Sao Paolo without problem - but Huntsville? I get hassled everytime. I cleared security with my purse and carry-on, along with a massive shopping bag I was just hoping no one would question. I thought I was homefree. Had my streak perhaps ended?

Bzzzzz. Wrong. As they called us to board by zone, I walked up to go through. "M'am, can you step aside?". Grumble. "No, I can't". Ok, I didn't say that. But I wanted to. And, as has been my experience the some 2-3x a year I make the return trip to HSV, I was asked to sit down all of my carry-ons and be patted down, all-around. I guess there's some dignity in at least being able for once to retain my shoes in this process. Perhaps.

Anyhow, now I'm back. After more than a week off from work and having taken my first true vacation since I don't know when, I should feel refreshed and ready to face my last week at work. But yeah, I don't.

Very odd. I usually slide with ease from DC to AL, DC to NYC, etc. Just city to city. No true transition. Nothing to notice. Yesterday though, for the first time I can recall since I don't even know when, I felt the change in speeds. Felt the change in cooling methods at the house, trading fantastic central A/C with my rattly obnoxious window unit. Felt the change in geographic locales, as on came the sneezes.

I pulled up my calendar. Most nights? Booked. I picked up the phone and called WT for an impromptu dinner to catch up. Time to get back in sync with the District life I know and love.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

4 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh, I KNOW! Small airports. Every. Single. Time. They pat me down, search my bags, and do a full cavity search. I have *never* been searched at LGA, JFK, nor EWR. But the little airport in Maui. Yep. The small airport in Akron Ohio. Of course. The tiny tiny TINY airport in Moscow, Idaho. Full search.

    Guess they're bored?

    Or they wanna cop a feel?

    At any rate, welcome home!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 11, 2007  

  • Haha yeah.... I think they're trying to justify their salary perhaps? Or maybe she should have just asked for my number, to which I would have replied sorry, let's hear it for the boys!

    Thanks though! Little over a month, then I'll be back off in the friendly skies. Hope all's well with you ... should be up your way soon. My sister's moving to NYC in July, so Big Apple, here I come!

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At June 11, 2007  

  • I don't know why it is, but this is so true. For me it was the airport in Evansville, IN.

    It's been a long time since I visited Huntsville. Did you know that it was just recently rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top places for "mid-level professionals" to live?

    I wonder how much truth there is to that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 11, 2007  

  • Interesting... didn't know that on the rating from Kiplinger's. I can see it though. The professional level has always seemed to be a focal point there.

    Main thing I'd say is that it depends on where the person is though personally (mainly single v. married) as to whether the city is ready to support what they're looking for.

    Love visiting H'ville, but it's not quite as far along on some of the entertainment/cultural options I'd want at this phase in life.

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.