Monday, September 24, 2007

i felt a change a' comin' soon...

Perhaps it's been noticeable I've been a bit on the quiet side as of late. It happens. Sometimes things get busy. Sometimes I'm just feeling on the unsocial side. Or sometimes, it's because I'm having to highly censor life, and there's just not a lot to trickle through.

This time, it's the last scenario...

Rewind... so, a week and a half ago, I had a phone screen (first interview) with my former employer from Miami, but this time for their NYC office. The same team I used to work with closely from South Florida had an opening in their NYC headquarters location. And the job was ideal. Seemingly perfect.

I came across all of this following my Labor Day trip to NYC, as I'd finally allowed myself to admit that what I was doing career-wise was not where I wanted to be. I was getting specialized. Way too specialized. And in something my heart was not into. Somehow, it wasn't until I was practically fully out of the international realm that I realizes that was where I wanted to be. So some emails, some resumes, and I found myself on a phone call with a former colleague, who is also the manager for this role.

Last week on Tuesday evening, they brought me up to NYC for the on-site and final interview. And what a nightmare of a trip up it was... along with a night of missed connections. The interview went great. It was one of those things where you just feel at home. I was surrounded by familiar faces back in the crazy corporate environment I missed so much. It just made sense.

I was afraid it would be a long and torturous process, having experienced the bureaucracy on the hiring process upon other instances. I was surprised to receive the verbal offer last Thursday, with the final offer coming midday Friday. Noon on Friday, I was sitting in front of my manager, giving my two weeks notice.

But didn't I just move? Oh yes. Clearly, it is my joy in life. And back to those lovely cardboard boxes I've gone. Didn't I just sign a one year lease? Again, all details.

So the weekend has become a hodge podge of this and that, heavily focused on frantic get-it-accomplished-ASAP packing. I feel like I may have given a kidney to Goodwill by accident. I've had my car appraised by CarMax, where I will probably be robbed unless someone would like to make me a fabulous offer. I've reserved the loading dock at my apartment complex from when I'm guessing... errrr hoping to be coming back to meet the movers to load up my stuff to head north.

Literally, I'm off in two weeks -- Manhattan bound. People have asked why I didn't ask for extra time to move up. The answer is that in a way, I'm choosing this. I'm not good with goodbyes. Never been a forte of mine, and I don't see that as a negative by any means. Most of my friends learned the news midday Friday, as the Tour Guide sent out an Evite for a farewell happy hour. I hate goodbyes and it's the people that have made DC, and I knew those very same people all knowing the play-by-play prior to seeing if this would go through would make the decision process more difficult for me... and so, here I am.

And that's the scoop, before me and my cardboard box cut hands fall asleep over my laptop. I'm excited about the next chapter. I don't feel nervous. It just feels right.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.