Wednesday, August 15, 2007

back in the saddle again

So today was the day. I came into work and left not too long thereafter, treating myself to a cab to head over to visit my orthopedic surgeon. I was supposed to have worn the old school plaster cast for two weeks but based on self re-evaluation, I'd deemed that it was time to bump the transition to walking cast up by a week since I was already trying to walk anyhow on the cast um not quite so designed for walking.

I usually could care less about doctors. They are usually just that... doctors. My orthopedic surgeon though, he's pretty cute, so he makes the effort of hobbling over to his office at least visually appealing. Which would explain why my face must have gone white as a ghost when, as he was using the saw-type thingie that lookied like a much more evil version of a pizza cutter, he commented on my hairy legs. Eeeek! Not that one could have rectified the situation, but it did take a bit of restraint not to audibly gasp.

I'm sure I pushed it a bit... I was so excited to be able to walk sans-crutches that I walked the three blocks back to the office to deposit the crutches (yay) and then another couple of blocks for a meeting in another building. It was after the walk back to my office that I thought it was perhaps time to sit still for a while... at least until half-price burger night tonight ;-)

In all seriousness though, it felt great to be able to see such a variety of scenery. Sassy mentioned last night riding with the DG in to work and not having ridden on the metro in a week, I was momentarily confused, inquiring as to whose car they were riding in. How quickly our routine can be thrown. It was nice to see DC the way I love to see it, on foot - and preferably two. For the timebeing, guess I'll be taking in each slice even more in all it's glory as I amble by at a slower pace -- but I'm so relieved to be back.

(Much love to my friends for their lovely cartoon drawings... the Fashionista for the top drawing and MsH for the bottom. *So* looking forward to our Friday coffee/catch-up run, MsH!)

8 Comments:

  • Congrats, LJ. Here's to healin'.

    By Blogger SciWonk, At August 16, 2007  

  • I have had 3 reconstructive foot surgeries in the past 6 years and one of the most gut wrenching moments... one where my stomach hit the floor, was after my 4 weeks in my *hot* blue cast, the surgeon informed me I needed 2 extra weeks in the bastard. I had been mentally preparing for removal that day, and was devastated. I had to go on a job interview in my super hot blue cast. And I'm sure I was fresh as a daisy. I don't care what they say.. . you can never get as clean in a shower with one foot hanging out as you can fully emerged. ICK!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 16, 2007  

  • Three cheers for the recovery time! Might you have been at FrontPage in Ballston last night too? (1/2$burgers)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 16, 2007  

  • AJ - wow. Those surgeries sound so painful. I was so afraid that would happen to me though on the cast removal. I had so many people wanting to decorate it all up on Tuesday night but with my HS reunion this upcoming weekend, I wasn't too willing to gamble in case that very thing happened.

    I bet you were stylin' in the hot blue cast though! They didn't give me an option on colors.

    Marianne - nope, I actually kept it closer to home than Ballston, but was all abbut letting go of the couch just the same.

    I think there must be a plethora of 1/2 price burger nights... I think some places around Dupont do Tuesday and then Stetson's on Thursday. Theoretically, I guess one could find somewhere in the city on any given night for a 1/2 price burger!

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At August 16, 2007  

  • Love the park-bench drawing! I was in Clarendon's Whitlow's Sand Bar earlier last night. I didn't know C has a Cheesecake Factory... but now that I do, I will be certain to go back. (quicker via metro and might not be as crowded as the Friendship Heights one.) If you are Ballston, try their quesadilla... yummy and not over-cooked. Needs guac though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 17, 2007  

  • Oh yes, love the Cheesecake Factory at Clarendon. Def closer in and less crowded (I think) than FHeights. On the quesadilla, is that at FPage?

    TGIF...

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At August 17, 2007  

  • Quesadillas are at Front Page in Ballston. "yummy and not over-cooked. Needs guac though." TGIF indeed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 17, 2007  

  • Yay for getting the cast off! And for having a cute doctor (even if he DID make that totally unnecessary comment about your hairy legs...helloooo, like you could help it!). Hope you feel as good as new very soon. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.