Wednesday, September 26, 2007

operation down-size

What do you do when you move from DC to NYC? You try to take a reasonably sized smallish 1 bedroom and figure out as many corners as possible you can cut to eliminate even more of your smallish collection of most prized possesions (saving, of course, all 35-40 boxes of shoes - because those are non-negotiable).

What have I been doing to work towards accomplishing this ultimate goal? The initial step was throwing out all of my CD cases. Liberating. Next, I've been hand-folding all of my clothing and putting them into boxes and as I am doing so, I'm weeding out those things I never wear that I've held on to for many many shameless years. No mas. Poof. Gone. Now in the Trader Joe paper bags and soon to be happily en route to Good Will. What else? I have suits that are 2 sizes too big that I have not worn since college. Where are those going? You guessed it - donation. It's amazing how quickly you can compress your world down!

Next step? I'm selling my kitchen table. It's part of my congrats-you're-a-big-girl-and-got-your-first-real-job collection (circa 2005), but has been more of a large placeholder in my apartment because as I sadly own up to from time to time, I am not quite the world's greatest cook. Someday I'll be cooking, but in the meantime I'm not going to hurt in my wallet for a big hunk of wood that no one's eating on. Hopefully soon to say *POOF*, also gone...

I guess those who focus on the possibility of having spacious living arrangements will cringe at this next comment, but I'm still excited. Give me a cardboard box but let it overlook Manhattan in some way, and I'll be as content as can be. Bring it on ;-)

4 Comments:

  • Here's a nugget that a New Yorker once said to me, years ago:

    "It's just things. I'm kinda 'anti-stuff.' It's liberating to not have a lot of stuff to weigh you down. Who needs stuff?"

    After all, the best things in life aren't things.

    By Blogger SciWonk, At September 26, 2007  

  • I keep getting these flashes of you turning into Carrie Bradshaw! I hope everything works out well for you in NYC. I know I never made it to see you in DC, but New York is a distinct possibility. Good luck moving and if I can ever be of any help, please don't hesitate! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 26, 2007  

  • Sci, I love it. I'm *trying* to become more anti-stuff. It's hard for a sentimental person to do so, but moving in 2 months sort of negates the sentimental nature momentarily.

    Very true though. I think being in a place that situates to you to take in more of the city is far more valuable than material things.

    Susan, love it, haha. I probably have enough shoes to qualify ;-) And absolutely hope you'll make it up to visit. Would love to see you and love the idea of all the potential company!

    By Blogger Lara Ziobro, At September 26, 2007  

  • Sounds wonderful to clear out all the stuff!

    PS Throwing out the shoe boxes (but not the shoes) saved me a ton of space. I've become a believer in shoe bags.

    By Blogger texasinafrica, At September 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home




Powered by WebRing.